Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cute, Cuddly, and Adorable

As you've probably guessed, or at least noticed by now, I seem to be an animal magnet. Animals in need just seem to find me. How? I haven't the slightest.

Here's the story on the latest and greatest....
I was eagerly absorbed in a book I was reading when I happened to glance up and out the front door. Joey was being, well Joey, bouncing around like...Joey. I figured he was playing with a leaf or something, not uncommon. A few minutes later I glanced up again and noticed he was still in the same spot, so I decided to go check it out. When I got closer I saw something jump up in the air a few inches. I start running, ready to beat Joey to a pulp if he captured some innocent little creature and was torturing it.
It's a baby rabbit. Completely unharmed, and not even a drop of saliva on him. I pick it up and cradle it in my shirt. Joey cocks his head, looks at me for a second and then darts off to an area about 10 feet from me. He looks down, looks at me, and then looks down again. I walk over and there is a nest of little bunny foo foo's. (Insert nursery rhyme here) I grab the little bunnies and put them in a shoe box with the mother rabbits hair. Dad was kind enough to buy some puppy milk and half-and-half. (I did my research)
The bunnies looked to be about 2 weeks old. They were equipped with fur (thank goodness, it's rather difficult when they don't have hair!) so I wasn't too worried about them getting cold and what not. I've had them for about a week and their eyes are now open and their ears are starting to stand up. I've started to wean them. I only nurse them twice a day, and the rest of the time they happily munch on fresh grass from the yard. Once I've got them completely weaned I'll set them free. (Cross my fingers and hope they survive!)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers